The House system at Sacred Heart College is a traditional feature of our school. The College is divided into six Houses and each student is allocated to a House. Throughout the year, Houses compete for the Board of Governors' Shield in sporting, cultural and academic events that enhance the camaraderie between different Year levels at our school.
The Houses are named after significant people in the history of Sacred Heart College and of the Catholic community in New Zealand.
The six Houses are:
Basil – Yellow
Basil House is named after Br Basil Kelly, an Irish immigrant who joined the Brothers and became a charismatic Principal throughout New Zealand and Australia. He was the first Principal of the College when it opened in Richmond Road in 1903.
Coolahan – Green
Coolahan House is named after Mr Hugh Coolahan, a wealthy landowner who donated a large tract of land in Ponsonby to the Catholic Church, part of which became the original site of the College in Ponsonby, now the site of St Paul’s College.
Lenihan – Red
Lenihan House is named after the Right Rev George Michael Lenihan, Bishop of Auckland 1896 - 1910. It was he who encouraged the Brothers to establish Sacred Heart College and leased them part of the Coolahan land for that purpose. The Brothers later purchased the site.
Marcellin – Teal
Marcellin House is named after St Marcellin Champagnat, founder of the Marist Brothers. This House was established in 2001 to mark Marcellin Champagnat’s elevation to sainthood in 1999.
Pompallier – Blue
Pompallier House is named after Bishop Jean Baptiste Pompallier (1802–1871), the leader of the Marist community of Fathers and Brothers, who arrived to establish the Catholic Church in New Zealand in 1838. He later became the first Catholic Bishop of Auckland (1848–1868).
Stephen – Purple
Stephen House is named after Br Stephen Coll FMS, a long-standing teacher and Marist Brother at Sacred Heart College, esteemed by thousands of his Old Boys for his character, wit and literary scholarship.