While there are many low-cost options available on the market, we recommend following the below guidelines to ensure investment in a suitable device that meets our requirements.
The most important prerequisite is that a device can be charged at home and last for the entire school day – at least eight hours. A device also needs to meet these specifications:
- Light and portable
- Operates Google Apps – Chrome, Drive, Classroom
- Able to connect to wireless networks
- Ample storage – minimum of 4GB (Chromebook/laptop), 32GB (iPad)
- Keyboard – built-in or with Bluetooth capability
- Anti-virus software
- Robust and sturdy enough for school use
- Insured against loss or damage – the College will not accept responsibility for any loss or damage incurred at school.
- Solid protective case or bag
Several retailers have acceptable device options for our students. Some offer finance options, extended warranties and insurance.
Insurance – some insurance companies may consider the College as a workplace, and therefore the device will not be covered by your insurance. We recommend that you confirm details with your insurance provider and ensure the device will be covered at school.
Apps – students will need the correct version of apps. Any Apps needed for school will be charged to you through a stationery fee and distributed through the College’s Mobile Device Management (MDM) system.